Guidance note: Online steps to apply for registration and authorisation

All individuals who provide a financial service (broadly comprising of either a financial adviser service, a broking service, or keeping, investing, administering, or managing money, securities, or investment portfolios on behalf of other persons) need to be registered on the Financial Service Providers Register to provide that service. This is a requirement under the Financial Service Providers (Registration and Dispute Resolution) Act 2008 (FSP Act 2008).

Some financial advisers also need to be authorised by the Financial Markets Authority, and it will depend on the type of financial product (category 1 or category 2) in relation to which the financial adviser service will be provided.

For more information, see Do I need to be licensed, registered or authorised. Download the full guidance note below to assist with the online registration process.